On A Clear Day, I Can See Myself For Miles.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Scrapbook 1 & 2.


8th Grade
Grandma,
            I pulled out your old scrapbook.
            Come take a gander, come take a look.
            Look at Grandpa sitting
                        on his polished plane.

I know how you long for him,
            when gazing at his face among the men.       
            But you must tread on,
                        all the same.

I know you reminisce of all your times,
            the memories running behind lonely eyes.
            I know you miss him
                        with all your heart.

And when you leave me,
            Though I know I will cry,
            Do not worry, I will get by
            because I know you two
                        are no longer apart.


3-30-10
Grandmommom,
            I’m still looking at your old scrapbook,
            though my heart is heavy and shook.
            I already miss your shining face,
                        smiling back at me.

I long to see you once again,
            for you to hug me and ask how I’ve been.
            But I know your soul
                        can finally be free.

So I will go on with only memories of us,
            Of Christmas Eve nights and the times you’d fuss
            at my bare behind as a child
                        when I found mooning you amusing.

I will remember spaghetti dinners and heart-felt talks,
            all those family vacations and sand beach walks,
            even the years you fought on
                        though your mind grew confusing.
                                    (yes, I know life became confusing.)

I won’t lie and say it’s better you’re gone.
            I wish you were out back swinging by our lawn,
            but I’ll let you go to a place
                        that’s heavenly and big.

I know you’re with Granddaddy once more,
            and as you look around the Heavens galore,
            I can hear your voice singing,
                        “Home again, home again, jiggity jig!”


NOTE: I wrote the first poem in 8th grade for my grandmother and she fell in love with my poetry. She asked me to read some of my poetry at her funeral. Therefore, when she passed this past March, I wrote the second poem and read it at her funeral. I love her very much; she means the world to me.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment