On A Clear Day, I Can See Myself For Miles.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Forget About the "What Ifs".


When I was twelve and had a pocket knife,
And I let Alex try to whittle like I did.
But I, having so many more years to my life,
Should have known better then to give cuts to a kid.

And when I let Suzanne on the bus ridicule me,
I let her make me evaluate my self-esteem.
Yet at the age of nine, I failed to see,
That her opinion didn’t mean anything.

For eighteen years, I isolated myself from family.
I embraced me, a self-proclaimed introvert.
Only to see in later argument ramblings,
That my seclusion was a main source of her hurt.

I trusted Caitlin with my secrets of dark,
Though my judgment at the time was poor.
Her rapid betrayal left its searing mark,
On my heart that trusts no more.

Had I know I was their trophy piece,
I might have pulled away quicker.
But once my grandparents criticized me, my visits did cease.
I knew you were twisted, Pop, but your mind became sicker.

I rewind my mind and request the unknown,
The “what ifs” of my life do pester.
How would they change the way I’ve grown?
These scenarios in my head often fester.

I ask these inquiries to my wall;
I gladly converse with my shadow.
Yet the answers given make my skin crawl,
Some alternates are best not to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment